Search This Blog

Friday, February 14, 2014

ROSA'S FLOUR TORTILLAS

Robert and I used to go to a Mexican fast food restaurant in Midland called Rosa's.  We lived at Rankin then, and it was a treat for us when we "went to town."  Back in the day they had their recipe for their flour tortillas painted on the wall, so I copied it down in one of the many little notebooks that I kept in my purse.  I am glad that I did because they aren't sharing recipes anymore.  Robert is grown up, now, but he and his family like to go to Rosa's and Bobby and I still like it too.

After I retired and moved, I finally started going through things and "weeding out."  I am almost embarrassed to say that I had quite a collection of those "little notebooks"  stacked in a wash stand, and had moved them from Welch to Rankin to Andrews and then home.  The amount of "stuff" stacked in this house made me feel very ruthless, so I started going through these notebooks, and tossing them.  That is when I found the recipe for Rosa's Tortillas, so if you are in the mood for rolling tortillas here you go.  I haven't tried this recipe, but Rosa's mass produces delicious tortillas with their machine.

Rosa's Flour Tortillas

50 lb. flour
1 lb. baking powder
6 lb. shortening  (lard)
12 oz. salt
10 1/2 qt. water  (hot)

Makes 400 tortillas

If you are interested in their menus, and catering possibilities, go to www.rosascafe.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow...
    Since I mix my flour tortillas by hand (like you showed me), I can't imagine trying to incorporate 6 pounds of lard with 50 pounds of flour!!!
    Mercy!
    I'll check out the website; so glad you included that!

    ReplyDelete